Is Shadow Priest viable?

Funeral

Is Shadow Priest viable?

Post by Funeral »

Hello everyone!
My question is more concerned about PVE mid and endgame. I've mostly played two classes from TBC to MoP: Warlocks and Shadow Priest, so I have little vanilla experience (maybe a toon or two I've leveled to 50ish back in the time).
I read a lot about how hard is for Shadow to get a spot in raids, as they are prettty much designed to heal and/or will be told to do so.
That said, what are your thoughts, guys? Do you think we are also going to see that difficulty nowdays? Are shadow priests going to find a place in raids more often than back in 2004-2006 or people will just bring a warlock or mage instead?
That's it, please let your thoughts here. Thanks for reading and sorry for the poor english :p
I see ya in 2 days :D

Kainnee

Re: Is Shadow Priest viable?

Post by Kainnee »

It depends on your raid composition. If you're in a hardcore min/maxer guild, you'll have 2-3 Warlocks in a raid, mainly for CotE and CoR. There's no place for a Shadow Priest there. A lot of "your" damage comes from the Warlocks boosted by SW.
A "normal" raid will have 4-6 Warlocks, boosting their damage with a Shadow Priest makes sense. If you put the Priest in the Warlock group he can also heal the Life Tap damage with VE. Alternatively you can have more hps on the MT or melee groups.

If I'd run a raid, I'd have one spot for a Shadow Priest. This Priest would have to be very active (at least 90% raid attendance), would have a high skill requirement, and not be item-hungry, because - sorry - Mages and Warlocks come first in a lot of cases.

Ironoak

Post by Ironoak »

I raided as a Shadow priest MC and BWL on K3. And know others who have done the same on all my vanilla adventures. (retail classic, K3, Light's Hope, and current classic)
If you are competent and put in the time, then you should have no problem getting a raid spot.
And in MY opinion you should not accept the: "you're support/hybrid spec... so your not getting loot at the same pace as the rest of us... bullshit"
If you are on time, bring the needed consumables + reagents and DON'T slack, you're just as good a candidate for an upgrade as the other casters, even with a loot council system.

I raided as shadow with a guild that didn't want to give the "hybrids" loot at the same pace as the rest. and eventually they asked why my dps was subpar from where a shadow priest should be at the current progress (Bwl)... Could only tell them that i was still in the same preraid bis blues i had been when i started, because there was always another caster who needed the upgrade more then me... even if they already had epic in that slot... when it finally looked like i was getting a piece of Bwl loot, they didnt want to give it to me. because i was going blue into bwl epic... (*cough* bad excuse) and gave it to someone who it was a smaller upgrade for...
Nedless to say i /gquit mid raid there... with a few whispers from other raiders that they understood why i left.

Kainnee

Post by Kainnee »

Ironoak wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:28 pm
And in MY opinion you should not accept the: "you're support/hybrid spec... so your not getting loot at the same pace as the rest of us... bullshit"
If you are on time, bring the needed consumables + reagents and DON'T slack, you're just as good a candidate for an upgrade as the other casters, even with a loot council system.
I agree that a Shadow Priest is entitled to loot too. But there's the cold truth that givíng a Shadow Priest gear does not increase raid dps as much as a Warlock or Mage would, not by a long shot. The main reason to have a Shadow Priest is the 15% dmg increase from SW. In other words, you could come naked to a raid - as long as you're stacking SW on every main target you're doing your main task.

Of course you can look for a guild that "plays just for fun" and compete with Oomkins and Elemental Shamans for gear too. The game is old enough that most content can be cleared even with sub-par Hybrids in the raid. On one of my previous private servers I have passed on epic loot for a Shadow Priest, simply because he was such a cool dude and we had fun raiding together. Doesn't change the fact that I would have done at least twice as much damage with those epics than he did.

Ironoak

Post by Ironoak »

Kainnee wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:59 pm
But there's the cold truth that givíng a Shadow Priest gear does not increase raid dps as much as a Warlock or Mage would, not by a long shot. The main reason to have a Shadow Priest is the 15% dmg increase from SW. In other words, you could come naked to a raid - as long as you're stacking SW on every main target you're doing your main task.
I totally agree that your main job is to debuff or dispell if the encounter (Chromaggus) calls for that.
But up until AQ40 there is no reason to really be balls to the wall cookie cutter builds. The game was designed around 40man raiding, atleast 20 of them being Brainless noobs...
I agree the progress is faster if everyone is cookie cutter, and the right class for their role.
Nobody wants to raid 3hours 2-3days a week for molten core
Do we really want to raid with all mages and dps warriors with windfury just to skip on every other class, just because there is a better class/spec combination for the role...?
As long as its 1-3 ppl who is in a sub optimal spec, it should not affect the overall raid time that much.
But im not a raid leader. i only have officer exp.
Kainnee wrote:
... On one of my previous private servers I have passed on epic loot for a Shadow Priest, simply because he was such a cool dude and we had fun raiding together. Doesn't change the fact that I would have done at least twice as much damage with those epics than he did.
small gestures like that was probably a reason for him to stay with a guild that didn't wanna give him upgrades. (just guessing, i don't know the guild/history)

Funeral

Post by Funeral »

Wow, I enjoyed reading your posts! Yea, most of what Kainnee said is what i've seem in some forums and makes sense 100%. But still im really hopeful that it will be less rough nowdays, or i will just try to find the right guild to fit in. Ironoak's words inspired me :D, but tbh we are about to start and i'm yet to choose lock and priest. If priest, i will just follow my heart and be blacky. Or just go lock for first char (pet + free 40 mount yes!).
Kainnee wrote:
On one of my previous private servers I have passed on epic loot for a Shadow Priest, simply because he was such a cool dude and we had fun raiding together. Doesn't change the fact that I would have done at least twice as much damage with those epics than he did.
That's noble! :.)

So, that's it. I really appreciate the replies, guys. We meet again inside the game in a few minutes i guess. Thanks =)